Friday 31st August, undulating ride.

We had planned for a longish ride yesterday, but it rained. Hard. We are nesh in the extreme hence the bailing on the ride and coming home and drinking cocoa. The weather forecast for today promised nice weather so we figured that today would be the day for a longish ride again.

When we walked the dogs this morning, it was a bit parky in our tee shirts so we took the executive decision to wear our new warmer jerseys for the ride.  Once we had walked up the drive and I had got my shoes on, we were wondering if this might have been a mistake but neither of us felt like walking back down, changing and walking back up again, so we set off towards Wymondham.

Half way there, we were getting pretty boiled so we unzipped a bit and got on with it. At Wymondham, Kenn popped into the Docs and dropped off a prescription request and then we headed on towards Hethersett. Nice road to ride along and we passed Ketts Oak, which was looking lovely. Way back in 1549, the oak was the meeting point for the Kett’s Rebellion which I am sure that we learned all about in school and have now mostly forgotten.


Ketts Oak, just after we passed it.

From Hethersett we took a left hander and headed towards Colney and came out near the N&N Hospital and we then had to get up the dreaded UEA hill, which neither of us are particularly fond of. I was interested to see how we would get up it as it was our first ascent of it with new pedals and shoes. I got up it fairly handily. I didn’t drop below 9mph, which is pretty good for me. Kenn was a little bit behind me and made good time up it too.

We headed in to the city as I had do do a bit of banking & Kenn popped into the sports shop and bought a couple of gels and a couple of energy bars and then we headed back out of the city down Prince of Wales Road and down to the Station. We then headed towards Thorpe and Kenn was unimpressed by the undulating road that he said was ‘mostly up’. He was not wrong there.

When we got as far as the Yarmouth Road lights, we headed left past Sainsburys and then along to Pound Lane, I might have been less than truthful about the hill there and told Kenn that it was only little. It was only little when I was 16 and used to pedal up and down it most days as my friend Teresa lived at the bottom and I lived at the top. We got up and headed off down Laundry Lane, passing my old school.

It didn’t look this smart when I went there.

We then doglegged through Thorpe St Andrew and came out by Thunder Lane Garage and rode up Plumstead Road East, past the site of my Dad’s old shop which now seems to be a temp agency for people in the car trade. Getting over the Heartsease roundabout was as tricky as it ever was, added to that was the problems that I had clipping my left shoe back in, it went in eventually but by that time I was mostly round the roundabout. Kenn was very happy when I told him it was all downhill to the Magdalen Street flyover, he looked less chuffed with the slight rise leading to the downhill bit though. He did say how much he enjoyed flying down Ketts Hill though. When we reached the flyover, we went under and along the cycle path there, rather than over. Neither of us fancied the hill over.

This brought us to the start of Marriotts Way, or cycle path #1, which we followed to North Earlham. We went along there quite slowly as the path was heaving with parents with kids on bikes, people pushing prams, walking dogs or just generally walking along. We took the opportunity to slurp a gel down before going up Marlpit Lane and on to the Dereham Road and heading towards home.

Kenn had to stop when we got to Dereham Road. He couldn’t clip in with his left shoe. He took his shoe off to find a small bit of stick had got stuck in the recess where his cleat is. Once sorted we were on our way along the Dereham Road cycle path. We went on the cycle path, rather than the road as it was as busy as anything and cars were not giving us any room at all. The cycle path meant crossing the road, which meant getting on to the roundabouts at the top a bit tricky, but it was generally safer.

At the roundabouts we decided not to take the usual route home but to take the old Dereham Road towards Colton and then on to Barnham Broom & home. Kenn was pretty stuffed by that time so we didn’t then head to Barford village before heading home. He said that he had done enough for one day. He’s probably right.


Ride:         61.79 km
Top Speed:     50.69kph

Ave Speed:    18.99 kph

Total        558.98 km


About RosieRosie

RosieRosie is a woman of a 'certain age' - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, known. I feel about 26. I have no idea what I look like as some older woman keeps getting in the way when I look in the mirror. Separated from husband but dating a nice chap at the moment. I have a proper wanderlust and have finally moved - using the housing exchange system from - where I started in Inverness, down to Cornwall and back up to the Flatlands and Big Sky Country. It's taken since September 2011, when I left Inverness until May 2017 to get to somewhere that I really like. That's not too shoddy with a swap here and a swap there, saving up again for each move. Not ruling out going home to Norfolk if necessary. Time will tell. For now my mates are just a 90 minute or so, drive down the road. I love my bikes, I love my dog and I love guitars. They all keep my busy.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s