Not a riding blog this one. Just a quick update on stuff generally.
Kenn is fed up with counting in kilometres and wants to go back to good old miles. Fine by me. So far, since Dec 1 2011 we have got 834.46 miles under our wheels. Not nearly as many as we wanted to but life got in the way.
Spending 4 1/2 months homeless didn’t help, neither did the snow, me being ill then Kenn being ill and life generally ganging up on us for a while. Most of that sort of rubbish is behind us now. Kenn is still ill of course as transplant patients don’t suddenly get their own kidneys restored to full health, he still has renal disease and is on daily meds to stop the transplanted kidney being affected by the disease that cause his own to pack in. What with that and the anti rejection meds and so on and so forth.
However, this last year with coming home to wonderful Norfolk we have:-
- Managed to get Kenn a decent bike, which he loves.
- We have gone clipless, which we both love.
- We have completed the Tour of Britain Challenge Ride, officially 57.2 miles but my GPS reckons that it was 60.02 miles
- Cycled home after the ToB CR
- Opened a brand new business as neither of us can get a job becuase of Kenn’s kidney, my banjaxed wrist, being self employed for too long so neither of us have any ‘recent, relevant work experience’.
- Rescued a new Greyhound (like you do).
- Managed to find a reliable car for work.
- Got back in touch, face to face, with a lot of our old friends.
- Got back on our feet and some new direction to our lives.
- Found a good church.
All in all, not a bad year. The good far outweighs the rotten bits.
We have set a new challenge for ourselves to take us through the rest of the year. I am not sure we can find another event to ride in of a sensible distance. Neither of us fancy the Cambridge to Norwich British Heart Foundation ride, its 70+ miles and we are not up to that sort of distance yet. We thought that we would try to cycle 250 miles a month, every month for the rest of the year, starting on 1st September. We know that its kind of cheating as we are half way through, but it makes us feel happy. That would give us 1000 miles from Sept – Dec which would be good. We won’t beat ourselves up if we don’t make it as its only a goal, not a rule.
So far this month, 131.21 miles so we are over half way there with another fortnight to go, so we are hopeful of hitting this month’s target. Even more hopeful of some reasonable weather as our water-proofs are no longer so. Need to get to the LBS and price up some water-proofs to take us through winter.
Anyway, enough rambling. I have a ride blog to write up.