Today was Bouncers Belated Birthday Bash Geocaching Event, in Drayton, Norfolk. We started at the far end in Lenwade and cycled towards Drayton.
Today’s cycle was a bit, shall we say, different. We cycled for .75 miles stopped and walked about to find a geocache, signed the log got the gps to point us to the next cache and got back on our bikes. We then cycled for 0.1 mile, got off walked about to find the cache etc and so on and so forth. We covered 5.77 miles in 1:52 with a 3.1mph moving average but then we were walking very slowly back and forth hoping the gps unit was finally going to settle down the the cloud cover and the tree cover.
All in all, we had a blast and we are going to do it again tomorrow.
We have learned a lot today:
- Shimano Cycle shoes are rubbish for climbing trees in.
- Lots of mud on shoes makes clipping in tricky
- Cycle shoes are not designed for scampering up and down muddy/grassy banks covered in leaves
- Cycle shoes are actually quite comfy for walking in (mountain bike shoes, not my road shoes)
- Some families like to hog the entire cycle track by riding up the middle and swearing at you when you are on the left side of the track and carry on rather than stopping and tugging your forelock at them.
- Some bike riders think that geocachers are not ‘proper’ cyclists and mention the fact
- Some bike riders need to get a grip.
Our original plan was to cache down Marriotts Way and then cycle back up to where we had parked the car but a nice cacher gave Kenn a lift back to the car so we didn’t have to cycle back. It was lovely of him but I could have done with the extra mileage and I know that Kenn would have benefitted. Never mind, out tomorrow caching and I can’t wait.
Once home I had another little jog. .55 mile at 12 minute miles. My achilles is just fine so I will take it very gently and strengthen, not strain.
Todays ride : 5.77
Max speed : 12.22
Ave speed : 3.1 (this did include the slow walking bits of which there were many)
Elevation : Didn’t look and took different gps
Total miles : 21.93