What a lot of ride reporting!

So I forgot to blog. I was so busy cycling and sorting out my cycling log that I forgot to come over to wordpress and write about it all. The lure of a hot bath and a cup of tea while reading some chic-lit was too good to pass up, no wonder I forgot to blog. It might be a girl thing though.

Fri 21st
After a great ride on Thursday, we awoke to the Longest Day and went off to work. We both wanted to ride today but Kenn’s bike was at Halfords having a service so we took the MTBs out for a spin. Dusting off the Hardrock and the Revel was fun, they were dusty 😮

There is a little trail, about 1/2 a mile or so up the road from us so we headed for that and rode down it. We walk the dogs this way so know it well. It gets a bit narrow and bumpy along the bottom there but we were on MTBs after all but it did dawn on me that we had forgotten the puncture repair kit somewhere along there. We followed the trail to the railway lines which we got off the bikes to cross. Back on again and past the town recycling centre, or dump if you like. Once at the main road we had the choice of up the hill on the busy road or hook a right and head for the train station past the cemetery, which is the route we took.

Once at the station, its very close to home but neither of us felt like going home yet so we headed off down The Lizard (Not in Cornwall!) and followed the trail. I am not sure that bikes can go that way but there are no ‘no cycling’ signs so we went. At the end we turned right and cycled up a pretty trail with over hanging trees. On the narrow bits it was shoulder high in stinging nettles too. I am not as tall as Kenn so I ducked under the branches, Kenn had a more interesting ride than I did. The trail brings us out at the foot bridge end of Rightup Lane so we cycled over the bridge and came home on the back road into our street.

5.79 miles in 32 minutes – or so. Kenn forgot bike computer and I forgot the phone so I looked at my non-digital watch and gave it my best guess. A great little route, we had forgotten how much fun MTBs are.

Sat 22nd
Ken was dialysing again so I went to meet him, again. Much faster this time on the same route. 8.34 miles in 30:35 and I was most impressed with myself. Its a very flat route with about 3 foot 6 of climbing – oh 52.49 feet of climbing really but over 8 miles it might as well be a metre or so. While going up the little hill in Hethersett, I passed a lad on a brand spanking new road bike, the cassette was so shiny it almost blinded me. I think that he is a brand new cyclist as he was all knees and elbows and that seat looked like it could do with going up 4 inches or so. Lad must have been about 20 or so and was making very heavy weather of that hill, which counts for about 30′ of the total climbing. Its not exactly an alp. Anyway, I said a cheery ‘hello’ and left him too it. After my last experience of neophytes on bikes I thought that I would skidaddle.

Once at the hospital, Kenn had a while before he was being released back into the wild so I gently cycled for 2.14 miles at about 10mph, around the cyclepaths at the hospital. Cooling down was the name of the game there. The hospital gets a bit snarky if I sit in the mezzanine on the seating there, with my bike, and I needed to kill some time.

What with the pouring rain, Church, dog walking and helping our Mark get stuff to his new flat, cycling didn’t happen on Sunday and it was nice to have an evening off.

Mon 24th
We went on a new route tonight. We headed down our road away from Town and then turned off for Wattlefield and followed the road along. It was very pretty along there, there were tiny baby rabbits hopping about, leaping for cover in the verges as we passed. Then we saw a Barn Owl flying along. We followed him for a while and then he headed for a tree on the right as if to land, then changed his mind and carried on flying – only about 6′ above us – in the same direction as the road before heading left and over the field. All in all, we followed him for about 1/4 mile. It was a good job that there were no other road users about as we were not paying any attention to the road, just the owl.

Soon after Mr Owl left us, we turned right to Spooner row and followed the road to the crossroads. There we had a short discussion whether to go right or straight on. Neither of us could remember that bit of the map, so we went straight and crossed the railway line and eventually came out on the B1172 ‘London Road’ and headed home from there. Our planned 7 miles was actually 9.2 miles but such is life. Looking at the map, once home, we should have gone right, not straight!

Tues 25th
Out on my own again tonight, Kenn was at dialysis (really looking forward to transplant time if and when it arrives). I was having a bit of a funny day. I had been working all day Monday and Tuesday with people and suddenly I was at home all by myself and it felt a bit odd. I got on the Giant and followed last night’s route (no owl this time) and hooked a right at the crossroads instead of going straight on. It brought me out at the little roundabout on the London Road about 300 yards from the big crossroads that would take me home. I decided to keep going and headed towards the museum and followed the Norwich Road to Waitrose, then kept going past Ketts Oak and the usual route to the hospital to meet Kenn. I did notice, by the time I reached Wattlefield, that my left hand was totally numb. Time for new mitts I think, I made a mental note to go shopping soon.

Once I had stopped, I was suprised to have averaged 15.2mph as it didn’t feel that fast. I had covered 14.36 miles in 56 minutes. Oddly, at Hethersett, I saw the same lad struggling up the same hill. He and his Spesh hadn’t got far since Saturday. It was about the same time that I saw him on Saturday so it must have been his ‘ride time’. I slowed right down to speak to him as he was having real problems with that little tiny hill. I noticed that he was in big ring and on a tiny rear sprocket, maybe 13 teeth or so. I said ‘hi’ and suggested that a different gear might help. At this point we were slower than walking speed. He told me that changing gear was for “queers and girls”. Charming! I changed down a couple of gears (it’s a girl thing obviously – then again I do fancy men…)

I am really excited about the Cycletta on Sunday now. I am feeling fit and I reckon that I can average 12mph over the 36 miles fairly easily. After all, when we rode the Tour of Britain Challenge ride last year I averaged a smidge over 13mph and that was for 60 miles and not 36 miles.

Today is a rest day and I have been shopping. I have new bar tape as mine was definitely a bit flat. We popped into Pedal Revolution at lunchtime today to look for some tape, I also found lovely new mitts. I had a budget of £37 for gloves and tape. I figured £20 for the mitts and £17 for the tape. As it turned out, £11 for the tape and £26 for the gloves so I was bob on. From there to Go Outdoors for a new bike computer. I already have a new cycling top, longer than my ‘ladies’ one so I can reach the back pockets without stopping and dislocating my shoulder to get a banana out. Lovely Kenn has fitted my bike computer and bar tape. The bike looks lovely and will look lovelier on Saturday when its had a nice clean.

Tomorrow I plan a nice short ride to see how things are going with the new kit. I will try to remember to blog.


The rides    :39.83

Ave speed      : 15.1

Total miles    : 367.38


About RosieRosie

RosieRosie is a woman of a 'certain age' - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, known. I feel about 26. I have no idea what I look like as some older woman keeps getting in the way when I look in the mirror. Separated from husband but dating a nice chap at the moment. I have a proper wanderlust and have finally moved - using the housing exchange system from - where I started in Inverness, down to Cornwall and back up to the Flatlands and Big Sky Country. It's taken since September 2011, when I left Inverness until May 2017 to get to somewhere that I really like. That's not too shoddy with a swap here and a swap there, saving up again for each move. Not ruling out going home to Norfolk if necessary. Time will tell. For now my mates are just a 90 minute or so, drive down the road. I love my bikes, I love my dog and I love guitars. They all keep my busy.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s