Due to wwww cancellations (I’d like more than 2 hours people) I played a bit of guitar and gave the dogs an extra long walk, for them. They got an hour down the Marriotts Way towards the city and then looped back to meet Hubster about a mile or so from where we live and a lift home. I was so impressed with the walk that I decided that a bike ride might be in order and Hubster got Mr Spesh, the MTB out for me. He’s heavy and I can’t lift him safely with my stupid wrist.
I finally got around to taking off the bike computer gubbins from the previous owner, and put on the mount for my Garmin and off I went.
It was clear from the word go that I was not really up for a ride, it was bloody cold even though I had a tee shirt, a sailing sweater and my council orange Night Vision jacket on, as well as longs and not thick enough socks. I had a buff, my lid and my cosy Sealskinz gloves (cat sick yellow ones).
I rode down the hill having got over the never changing traffic lights and decided to go left on the Marriotts Way, away from the city and thought that I’d ride to Drayton. Only about 4 miles each way from home and I do need to shift some lard and it would be a start to getting back into the riding habit again. Especially as I’m feeling a bit down at the moment (blame S.A.D.). By the time I had ridden to Drayton, I had warmed up and decided to push on a bit to where one of my dog walking customers used to live. Off I went again, up the horribly gravelly hill, over the road near the brilliant Drayton bakers (closed by then) and along the next short section. I say short, it’s about 400 metres so it really is a short bit. From there I headed to Thorpe Marriott and managed to lose count of the junctions. Before I knew it, I was at Freelands Corner, the highest point of the Marriotts Way. It must be about 12 feet above sea level there, maybe more. I was a bit worried as I was riding with oxygen assistance or a sherpa.
Having got there, I was having a really good time so I thought I’ll just do another mile. For those who don’t know the Marriotts, every mile there is a sculpture type thing made from old railway track with a number on it, the number is the mile marker from the City end. The next mile went quickly, and the next and I crossed another road crossing. I decided to do either one more mile marker or one road crossing, which ever came first. The 9 mile marker came first (I started just before mile marker 2) so I turned there and headed back. It was about then I realised how low the sun was in the sky and that I only had a wee white flasher on the bike. Despite taking off the superfluous gubbins I had failed to put on the much needed gubbins. Natural blonde, please speak very slowly as I am being a bear of very little brain today.
I thought that I had better get a wiggle on so got back to Freelands Corner as fast as I could on my exceedingly heavy Specialized Hardrock, with it’s slightly too wide bars for me. I must get these either changed or hacksaw a cm or so off each end. Back at Freelands Corner – the high point remember – and then it’s downhill all the way home, it must drop 4 or 5 feet or so over the next 5 miles. Scary stuff as I’m not a good descender on mud and wet leaves. I was back to Drayton bakery nearly before I knew it, still having a good time but my feet were feeling a little chilled now. Remember those not warm enough socks, I was noticing them now. I was also aware of my right wrist aching due to those bars too. Drayton was a good bit again for me, I went down the gravel road bit, over the proper road and up the ‘helter skelter’ a descending circular bit from the Marriotts to the Hellesdon Road. The locals call it the Helter Skelter. It only rises 10 feet or so. From there It was a really easy and relatively swift ride to the bottom of Marlpit Lane, the big hill that I need to climb to get back home.
I got half way up and needed a breather. Today is a fast day and I was running a bit low of energy. I stopped for a swig of lemon squash and to catch my breath and then up the hill with ease. I did get stopped by the never changing lights at the top, but it gave me a change to get my breathing back to a semblance of normal before the lights finally changed and I was over the lights, turning in to my road and stopping my garmin when it hit 14 miles. Before my house but you never know who’s looking. Hubster manhandled Mr Spesh through the flat and put him away. Poor bike, he has worked so hard and now he’s shackled to concrete for all his efforts today. I was going to shower him off but all my laundry is in the shower room, drying on racks and it was just too much of an effort to move it all. Anyway I needed a cup of tea and Mr Spesh isn’t filthy. I’ll bath him tomorrow.
14.01 in 1:18:02 so averaged 10.8mph which is not too bad for my on my MTB on a trail, avoiding dogs, kids running about and whatnot. I am really pleased. I got up to 19mph at one point, must have been down Marlpit Lane as it sure as hell wasn’t up it.
Not sure of mileage at the moment as myclcylinglog.com is down again. I have had a few rides since my last posting on here but life, as it tends to, got in the way of blogging. My business, new job, Kenn up and down at dialysis and dogs to walk. There are only so many minutes in a day and I need to sleep occasionally. I’m pretty sure that I need to do another 120 miles or so this month to hit my cycling target so it’s looking like a bust, unless we get a fortnight of high pressure, blue skies and sunshine and no bloomin’ snow.

About RosieRosie

RosieRosie is a woman of a 'certain age' - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean, known. I feel about 26. I have no idea what I look like as some older woman keeps getting in the way when I look in the mirror. Separated from husband but dating a nice chap at the moment. I have a proper wanderlust and have finally moved - using the housing exchange system from - where I started in Inverness, down to Cornwall and back up to the Flatlands and Big Sky Country. It's taken since September 2011, when I left Inverness until May 2017 to get to somewhere that I really like. That's not too shoddy with a swap here and a swap there, saving up again for each move. Not ruling out going home to Norfolk if necessary. Time will tell. For now my mates are just a 90 minute or so, drive down the road. I love my bikes, I love my dog and I love guitars. They all keep my busy.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s